Jun 18, 2012

Regency Men's Dust Coat 1801-2

I have been inspired to make a dust coat similar to one worn by an Englishman at a Napoleonic Weekend I attended in Lucca, Italy a few weeks ago.


I will use a dust coat from the National Museum in Copenhagen as my inspiration. This double-breasted coat is made of striped nankeen, with the sleeves lined with linen. Nankeen was a heavy, denim-like cotton fabric, originally imported from Nanking, China, and naturally yellow in colour. I hesitate to use linen as a modern-day substitute as it will wrinkle greatly and require much ironing, so may look for a sturdy cotton twill instead.


I'm not sure when I will start this project - I have a few Regency-era sewing commissions to complete and a 1780s costume class to teach first.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

You and I are on the same path, our partners will look so stylish. I will watch your project with great interest and pleasure Aylwen :)

Eurydice said...

Hello! I was wondering if you had a larger photo of the Banyan Pattern from the Danish National Museum. I can't quite make out some of the script (and not because it's in Danish). Thanks! - Elisabeth

Eurydice said...

Hello! I was wondering if you had a larger format copy of the Banyan pattern from the Danish National Museum. I can't quite make out some of the script (and not because it's in Danish). Jeg forstår lidt Dansk. Tak skål du have! -Elisabeth

$0 Web Hosting

Total Page Views